Tuesday, July 16, 2013

src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f1/An_Arch_Druid_in_His_Judicial_Habit.jpg/220px-An_Arch_Druid_in_His_Judicial_Habit.jpg" />Last night I was involved in a discussion group where the topic of conversation was Spirituality in Your Life. Among the participants was an MD, seated across from me. My turn to speak came up. I am a Pagan and believe in many of the practices of the pre-Christian European religions. Part of that recognises the power of shaman osize: 13px; line-height: 17px;">f old who among other things were healers. If you were ill you would go to see him or her to be healed. They would give you herbs, potions or magic powder to cure you.
Well, I said, "Doctors are the shaman of today. The incantations and ceremonies of the past are gone but the magic powders and elixirs are still here. Now we go see shaman/doctors to receive our cures." The doctor across from me was rolling his eyes and shaking his head. I added, "I went to see the doctor or shaman and he gave me a magic powder called Cymbalta. It helped to relieve the pain in my back and leg as well as lifting the severe depression I'd been suffering the last six months,. It was certainly magic to me." Speaking after the group I told him about my liver transplant and what tremendous respect I had for doctors and some of the wonderful things they had done for me. His reply, "After all that I can see why you call it magic."

No comments:

Post a Comment