Monday, January 23, 2012

How did I Become the World's Oldest Goth Girl?

Quite simple really, extreme procrastination. I lurked in corners when people had never even heard of lurking ;No Internet unless you happened to be a rocket scientist. In the 80s I was preoccupied with becoming a yuppie to pay much attention to who I really was. Loved Souxsie and the Dark Wave bands but that wasn't gonna get me promoted.
I discovered that being a workaholic was lonely and I found a sweet woman named Jill. We think she conceived the night we announced our engagement. 9 months later Molly was born and being a husband and father proved to be time consuming. I loved it for the most part. The end was not so good.

First, there was the gender thing. I started this life as a heterosexual male. After a good deal of effort I am now a bisexual female. Even so I still tried to fit in as a regular girl. I had started life kinda normal but a string of ailments early on gave me a premature awareness that life is temporary. I developed a fascination with things beyond the grave. Ghost stories, creepy horror movies and books. Later in life I discovered I had a chronic, incurable and eventually fatal illness. It would be a slow demise so I had plenty of time to think about how I would spend the time remaining. I have a skill or handicap depending on one's perspective. I'm a high self-monitor who practices impression management. I had to stop doing that if I wanted to free my inner goth chick. Oh, the woman with the sword is not me. But I wish it were!

No comments:

Post a Comment